Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A digression for an exceptional film

Alright, so, this film about which I shall be writing of is the 2004 Phantom of the Opera. As far as accuracy to the book, well, that is a story for another time. I shall for the time, speak of this strictly as a film. The film Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Weber is, to put a word to it, eyecandy. Now do not get me wrong, it is brilliant and mesmerizing. Even the score is fantastic. The film is done, as I saw it, very sensually and even a bit of an erotic persuasion to it. It is quite seductive in its nature, even for a tragic love story. I believe this was done to show the intentions of the Phantom. The Phantom is a disfigured, deformed man who has never been shown what true Love is or how to truly love. From birth he was shunned by society and his own parents. I have heard many opinions that people have had about him. One of the most prominent ones is that they find him creepy because of the figure he keeps of Christine or the way he sings to her. If we go deeper than the creepy side of it in order to find the intentions, the way that I looked at it was that he saw in Christine a model of human perfection and innocence who might be able come to love him for who he was. However, he did not know how to go about showing his affection and thought that she had to be seduced. So he used the power of his incredible vocal gift in order to attract her to him. So he would teach her to sing. However, she did not know who he was. So he then decides to seduce her down to his lair. When he does so, she takes off his mask in an attempt to find out who he is. He then gets angry and thinks she has betrayed him because she was trying to see how hideous he really was. But in reality she did not truly know. In the end, he realizes that the way he was trying to show his love was not right at all and was confused as to what true Love might be. I enjoyed this film quite a bit. I thought Gerard Butler did a fine acting job. all in all I would give it a 9/10 for the fact that I thought the sensuality was a bit overdone. but other than that it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment